What’s your “water slide”? I bet you have one, or many. We all do. What fear, if you conquered it, would allow you to have a bit more fun, experience greater success, or live life a bit more fully?
Some fears feel bigger to conquer than others. My water slide fear may not seem like the biggest fear one can have.
Having it causes me to isolate myself from the rest of my family. It even keep me from having MORE fun, joy and exhilaration in my life.
The moral lesson
Conquering your fears, one by one, builds confidence and increases your quality of life. Don’t let your fears hold you back from living the life you wish you were living.
Tips For Conquering Your Fears
- Recognize a fear is present
- Declare you are going to conquer the fear
- Expect to feel anxious, awkward and scared
- Consider copying a style you like until you find your own style
- Focus your attention
- Motivate yourself with affirmations
- Step into the fear with abandon
- Let go and have fun!
- Remind yourself to keep breathing
- Pat yourself on the back when it’s over
- Notice how much easier it gets
When you have time, take a personal inventory of the fears keeping you from living the life you want. Then make a commitment and challenge yourself to face and conquer one them that’s been holding you back.
Use the tips above to guide your way. To get started, see if any from the list below fit you:
- Admitting mistakes or wrong-doings
- Being inadequate/not good enough
- Doing something you’ve never done before
- Expressing yourself
- Healing emotional wounds
- Health concerns
- Never having enough
- Public speaking
- Promoting yourself
- Saying “NO”
- Sharing your feelings
- Taking a risk, such as starting a business or changing careers
— end —